Listen to this episode below:
What does it take to become a pilot? Join us as MayCay Beeler gives us insight into her inspiring pilot journey.
A vivacious American fly girl, MayCay Beeler is a record breaking pilot, award-winning television personality, veteran TV Host/Journalist, award winning true crime author, Certified Flight Instructor, mom, world traveler, and dynamic woman with a passion for all things flying.
As on-camera talent, MayCay has worked for every major US Network TV affiliate in News and Entertainment.
She is a champion of aviation, who knows firsthand that a woman’s place is in the cockpit!
- As part of a marketing campaign to encourage local people to learn to fly while working as a Television Host for a syndicated TV show called PM Magazine, MayCay was approached by the General Aviation Manufacturers Association (GAMA).
- In return for documenting the process on television in news reports and via features on the magazine show, MayCay was sponsored to learn to fly up to first solo.
- Catching the flying bug after her 2nd lesson, MayCay went out on her own and gained her ratings.
Initial Training Challenges
- During initial training MayCay found the multi-tasking required when flying was overwhelming. Looking at all the instruments, flying the aircraft, looking outside for traffic, keeping your wits about you.
- Eventually the multitasking becomes natural, but MayCay believes Students should initially Focus – Focus – Focus to deal with all what is going on when learning to fly.
The Aircraft Types
- MayCay has flown about 30 different Aircraft Types.
- All of the standard GA airfield types.
- MayCay’ favourite aircraft right now as a Flight Instructor is the The Liberty XL2 from Liberty Aerospace. This is one of the most sophisticated Piston 2 place trainer aircraft in the world. The liberty XL2 is frugal 21st century FADEC controlled, composite aircraft.
- MayCay’s other favourite is Beechcraft Bonanza BE35 V Tail aircraft.
- Tecnam P92 Eaglet & Sky Arrow 600 Sport Light Sport Aircraft (LSA)
Best Flying Advice
- To listen to your gut and if something doesn’t feel right, don’t do it. It is better down here, wishing you were up there. Rather than being up there, wishing you were down here.
- Learned to fly when working for PM Magazine.
- Interviewed and became friends with Jeana Yeager & Dick Rutan from the 1986 record breaking Voyager round the world flight and encouraged to break records.
- Via another TV show for PM Magazine, MayCay had the opportunity to fly an experimental aircraft the Questair Venture. MayCay flew with the Test Pilot, Richard Gritter and gain many World Records.
- Flying solo in the Questair Venture, MayCay gained the time to climb (10,000 ft) World Record in 2min 31 sec. The Exxon Flying Tiger aircraft took this record some years later.
- Gained her Certified Flight Instructor rating.
- The Diva Flight Experience which is MayCay’s signature program. Empowering Women through aviation. Getting women in the cockpit to empower them to feel the freedom of flight, take controls and to release the Diva within.
- Author of: “BUCCANEER” – The Provocative Odyssey of Jack Reed – Adventurer, Drug Smuggler and Pilot Extraordinaire. A stimulating, exclusive true account of the life and times of Jack Reed, an All-American boy turned drug smuggler; turned Robinson Crusoe, then infamous prison inmate.
- MayCay is the Flight Instructor for the Air Support Unit of the Local Sheriff’ Department. Providing check-outs, biennial flight reviews and recurrent training in the department’s Light Sport Aircraft.
Proudest Flying Moment
- Wonderful flying experiences with her Son.
- Director of Aero Camp at Piedmont Triad International Airport.
- Flying to the Bahamas and finding the lost Cherokee 6 aircraft that crashed at ‘Normans Key’.
Future Plans & Aspirations
- Excited about the evolution of General Aviation and the technology innovation of the Solar Electric Sun Flyer aircraft currently being developed by the Aero Electric Aircraft Corporation (AEAC). MayCay would love to support this cause.
- The Diva Flight Experience which is MayCay signature program. Empowering Women through aviation. Getting women in the cockpit to empower them to feel the freedom of flight, take controls and to release the Diva within.
Flying Internet Resource
Get up to date information about any airport within the United States.
Best Aviation Book
- Jonathan Livingston Seagull: A story by Richard Bach
‘Most gulls don’t bother to learn more than the simplest facts of flight – how to get from shore to food and back again,’ writes author Richard Bach in this allegory about a unique bird named Jonathan Livingston Seagull. ‘For most gulls it is not flying that matters, but eating. For this gull, though, it was not eating that mattered, but flight.’ Flight is indeed the metaphor that makes this story soar.
Favourite Cockpit Gadget
- Smart Phone – Don’t leave home without it!
- You can contact MayCay via the following websites:
- Triad Aviation Academy